The Brochure on Foreigner's Work Permit in China is applicable to application and issuing of work permits for foreigners employed by employers established within the territory of the People's Republic of China and in accordance with its law, with the relevant employers and foreigners as parties to be reviewed and approved.
1. Administrative License Law of the People's Republic of China
2. The Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China
Article 41 of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China: foreigners who work in China shall obtain work permits and work-type residence permits in accordance with relevant regulations. No entities or individuals shall employ foreigners who have no work permits or work-type residence permits.
3. The Regulations of the People's Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners
Article 7 of the Regulations of the People's Republic of China on Administration of the Entry and Exit of Foreigners: to apply for the R visa, the applicant shall meet the qualification and requirements set by the competent authorities of the Chinese government for inviting foreign high-end talents and specialists in urgent need and short supply, and the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the relevant certification documents; to apply for the Z visa, the applicant shall, in accordance with relevant provisions, submit the work permit and other certification documents. Article 16: to apply for a residence permit for work, the applicant shall submit such certification documents as a work permit; in the case of foreign high-end talents and specialists in urgent need and short supply, the applicant shall submit relevant certification documents in accordance with relevant provisions.
4. Letter of Opinions on the Integration of Work Permit for Foreigners by the Office for Administrative Examination and Approval System Reform under State Council (SGBH  No. 95)
1. Requirements for Employers
(1) Employers shall be established in accordance with the law, and have no records of serious violation of laws and dishonesty; the positions for foreigners shall be those with special needs, with no appropriate candidates currently in China and in line with related Chinese provisions; wages and salaries paid for foreign employees shall be no less than the local minimum wage.
(2) Employers subject to preliminary review of industrial competent departments shall attain their approval.
2. Requirements for Applicants
(1) Applicants shall be no less than 18 years old, in good health, have no criminal records, be equipped with professional skills or adequate expertise, and have received definite offer from employers in China.
(2) They shall be professionals in urgent need in China and their work shall meet the requirements of China's economic and social development.
(3) Where the laws and regulations on foreigners working in China provide otherwise, such provisions shall prevail.
3. High-end Foreign Talents (Category A)
High-level foreign talents refer to scientists, scientific and technological leaders, international entrepreneurs, specialized and special talents and other professionals who meet the requirements of high-end and urgently-needed talents, demanded in market, and urgently needed by China to fuel its economic and social development. Those talents shall not be limited by age, educational background and work experience.
4. Foreign Professional Talents (Category B)
Foreign professionals refer to personnel who satisfy the guidance catalogue for foreigners working in China as well as relevant job requirements, and are urgently needed for China's economic and social development. Such professionals shall have a bachelor's degree or above and work experience of two years or above, aged less than 60 years old. Where China has regulations on specialized personnel and personnel for government projects, such regulations shall prevail.
Catalogue of Application Materials
1. List of Application Materials
(1) Account Registration
Information registration form, certificate of legal registration, identification papers of the person in charge and the handling person, and documents of industrial permit.
(1) Application for Notification Letter of Foreigner's Work Permit in the People's Republic of China
Application form for foreigner's work permit in China, work experience confirmation letter, the highest academic degree certificate or relevant approval document, professional qualification certificate, non-criminal record certificate, certificate of physical examination, employment contract or certificate of employment (including the dispatch letter by a multinational company), the applicant's passport or international travel document, bareheaded and full-faced photo of the applicant taken within the past six months, and supporting documents of the accompanying family members.
(2) Application for Foreigner's Work Permit in the People's Republic of China
Visa held by the applicant (Z visa or R visa), employment contract, and certificate of physical examination.
(3) Application for Extension of Foreigner's Work Permit
Application form for extension of foreigner's work permit, employment contract or certificate of employment, visa or valid residence permit, and Foreigner's Work Permit.
(4) Application for Change of Foreigner's Work Permit
Application form for change of foreigner's work permit, and documentary evidences of the items applied for change.
(5) Application for Cancellation of Foreigner's Work Permit
Application form for cancellation of foreigner's work permit, and documentary evidences for termination of contract, expiration of contract or other materials supporting reasons for cancellation.
(6) Application for Re-issuance of Foreigner's Work Permit
Application form for re-issuance of foreigner's work permit, and explanation for the loss or damage by the applicant.
2. Submission of Application Materials
The employer submits the information online. After the preliminary examination and
approval by the relevant institution, the employer or its entrusted service agency shall present the original written materials to the acceptance institution for on-site verification. Once the materials pass the on-site verification, the Foreigner's Work Permit shall be issued.
Reception of Application
1. Submission of Information Online
Log in the government services platform of Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China.
2. Verification of Written Materials
Xian Municipal Bureau of Science and Technology, Science and Technology Bureau of Xixian New Area, Administration Examination and Approval Service Bureau of Xian High-Tech Industries Development Zone, Science and Technology Bureau of Xian Economic and Technological Development Zone Administrative Committee, Economy Development Bureau of Xian International Trade & Logistics Park Administrative Committee.
Flowchart of Application